Sunday, September 21, 2008

"Of Gold and Morning Light" Project - Inside Image 4

Here is an in-progress image. Many of you may cringe, but for these particular images I am using a butcher paper substrate. Not archival at all but it is a fascinating surface. It gives me a soft effect and the tooth is interesting. It lends the images a sense of faerie that I really enjoy. A mistiness that conveys, for me, the idea of another world. Just like the compositional choices I have made convey a looking from one world to another. Sometimes a world of light into dark or vice versa.

Here's the colour study.

Here is the line drawing for the next illustration in the series.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great stuff, Justin! Sarah showed me your webpage and I absolutely love your style. I do a lot of fantasy-type writing, and your artwork takes me back into scenes I feel have been in before. Excellent stuff, man. Fair play to ya!

Justin Russell said...

Thanks, Allie. That means a lot to me. I need all the support I can get. Your music is inspiring too. It was great to hear you guys at the party. Keep playing and may the gods walk with thee as thou walkest the winding way of the creative path.